Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Great Jones County Fair




Man, something happened to the computer, I had half of this blog typed out and it dissappeared. I also lost the use of the comma key. Strange things happen to those who blog.
Anyway I don't want to retype everything, so I will do my best to recap the fair. We had a busy weekend so I will break it down the best I can.

Friday night Josh and I headed to the Great Jones County Fair, where we met up with my dad to enjoy the concert, performed by Boston. This fair is the biggest in the area. I had checked earlier in the day and the concert was sold out. We had never known this to happen, we have seen many bands in the past at the fair including Chicago, the Beach Boys, Meatloaf, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, and Styx. So we brought a blanket to sit in the grass in the free seats, but the sound was distorted. So it seemed like Boston put on a good show, however the songs sounded the same.

The concert takes place on a race track. The stage is on the infield and people are able to sit on the track and in the grandstands. From our vantage point we were able to view the people on the track, the area where you can drink all your gut will hold. We observed many new kegs being dropped into the area, those people must have been thirsty.

We also got supper at the fair, we all got tenderloins. I know you are all dissapointed we did not get anything on a stick or a funnel cake.

The concert was over and it was time for the fireworks display. They spare no expense and put on a great show. Once those were over we were ready to scour the fairgrounds. We saw the usual suspects, the drunk guy on the mechanical bull, the drunk guy trying to ring the bell with the mallet, the drunk guy rotating on the ferris wheel, oh and the drunk guy walking around lost with his beer. There were other people there of course, but they were all too young to drink.

We had seen all we needed to see, so we were headed for the exit. We stumbled across the bingo tent. It was only .25 cents a card, we had to play a game or 2. So we plopped down and prepared for the first game, the lady called to numbers so fast it was hard to keep up. Then somone shouted BINGO. Ah shucks, we lost. Ok round 2, we were playing four cards and the grand prize was 2 whole dollars and 50 cents. Once in a while they had a 5 dollar game. So she starts calling the numbers at lightening speed. "BINGO" I had won, but so did someone else. I had to split the winnings, so I won $1.25. At least I won. So we stuck around for another game, we lost again. My dad said he missed half the numbers, so maybe he won, we will never know.

It was time to leave. We walked back to our cars at the super secret free parking area. I needed to stop at the Kum N Go for some popcorn and Josh needed a fountain pop, and we were on our way to Guttenberg. It was about midnight.

No comments: