Search This Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Thanksgiving


Wow this year has really flown by. It is time to write about Thanksgiving. As per tradition we packed up the escape and headed to Guttenberg to spend a few days in the river town.

WE certainly had our share of food this year. I am not a fan of turkey, nor do I care for ham, so mom thought she should cook a roast beef as well. I tell her every year that there is always so much food that I don't need meat. What a good mom, thinking I need to eat more!

SO this year was a large gathering of family and friends. I have alsways siad family is not your blood, but your close friends as well. Ted and Brenda were there, Amb and Josh made an appearance, Mom and Dad, Josh and I, and this year the neighbors who run the other motel on the hill, Brian and Teresa stopped by.

The menu was ginormous! AS always I started the night before with 2 batches of chex mix, that stuff is the holidays! I was also shipped a huge batch of fresh Geaorgia pecans so I was instructed to make a pie, which then turned into two pecan pies. I of course do not like pecan pie so I expermented with an apple cranberry pie. We also had turkey, ham, roast beef, green bean casserole, scalloped corn, apple/snicker salad, crescent rolls, mashed potatoes, and a huge relish tray. Teresa brought some delicious squash and a Jell-o cake. No one was leaving hungry.



Once every one was full it was time to rest. Then it was time for Amb and Josh to leave and get out the phase 10. I was doing well, but then as per usual mom who was keeping score, jumps ahead and I belive she wins the game. Every time she keeps score she wins. I wonder who taught her math. As every game of phase 10 takes 67 hours, it was then time to call it a night.


Early that next morning Brenda and I headed to Dubuque for the Christmas sales. WE got to Menards and it was a mad house, people were parking on the highway. We scored a few items. The line for the cash registers was the worst. We then made it to Micheals and Kohls before we decided that it was enough for us. SO we found a brueggers grabbed some grub and headed back to the Gutt.

It was then time for Josh and I to say departing words and head back to the big city. I think there was a bball game that night. IT was another great turkey day.

No comments: