Search This Blog

Monday, November 24, 2008

Another great weekend






Wow, what a weekend! Josh stayed in Iowa City to take care of everything sports related at the University. On Friday he had wrestling and volleyball I believe. Then on Saturday he helpd run the Women's bball tournament, which then concluded on Sunday, followed by a men's bball game Sunday night. He was busy! Thanks to mom and McKenz for letting the dogs out for us, it is greatly appreciated, and the dogs thank you as well!!

I was not at home. Friday night after work I hoped into my car and headed north to Minneapolis (MPLS) I stopped at the Shell gas station in CR to get my free gas and supper, it was gross by the way. I was headed up to visit my friend Kate, go to the Hawkeye football game, and run my 5k in St. Paul. It was going to be a busy weekend. I also was trying to get to IKEA, do a little shopping. Christmas is coming!

I arrived at Kate's apartment around 10:30. I was greeted by her "clean" apartment. We caught up on "Ugly Betty" then called it a night. Saturday we thought we should go check out the 5k race course before we ran it. Didn't want to hit some unexpected hills. The race was around Lake Como in St. Paul. After taking the scenic route we checked out the course, and then came upon the botanical gardens and Como Zoo. We had to go check these places out.

The botanical garden was beautiful. All kinds of flowers and trees. This placed was like a giant greenhouse, complete with humidity and tropical temperatures. They had a room with fall mums, many palm trees and a fern room. A great place to check out. We continued touring the facility and came across the zoo. All the animals except the reindeer and bison had been moved inside. This is a great little zoo, hiding in St. Paul.

It was now approaching lunch time, so we headed back towards MPLS and stopped off at the French Meadow for some eats. Then trucked out to IKEA, which is located near the Mall of America. We shopped and browsed the strange items, made some purchases then returned to Kate's apartment. It was nearing game time.

We hopped the bus downtown. Kate needed to rescue something from her office, and I got to take a tour of Target Headquarters. Then we attempted to board the light rail to the Metrodome, however decided to walk the remainder of the trip as the light rail was jam packed with Hawkeyes. We got to the dome, climbed to our seats about 15 rows from the top. We got to see the whoel field and the scoreboard!! The game started, but things were not going good as we had burned through our 3 timeouts in the first 5 minutes of the game. However things started to turn around, and we beat the Gophers 55-0, it was the biggest big ten win we had ever had. There were no Gopher fans even left in the dome, it was rockin with Hawkeyes. Becuase of the late start, it was getting late so we decided to get some pizza a call it a night.

Sunday morning, race day! the race started at 9:30 it was about 30 degrees and cloudy, great weather! We registered and did all the approriate stretching and warming up. Next thing we knew we were off, and looping the lake. A 5k is about 3.1 miles. The best time for this type of race is like 15 minutes or so. Average about 30 minutes. The winner for the race was a women who took it in about 17 minutes. Kate and I ran the whole way, never really got passed, but passed a few people, and bunch of whiny girls and finished under 37 minutes in a time of about 36 minutes and 40 seconds. Yeah we are rock stars!!! It really wasn't a bad race, nice course. I think I may run a race in December in Betterndorf, got to convince Amber to do it with me.

Well we felt good about ourselves, but had to get moving and get back to Iowa. Kate had to come back for a funeral visitation. We were back on the road at 11:30. In no time we were back to Iowa City. I dropped Kate off at the funeral home and I went home to let the dogs out on my way to go watch the men's bball game. The frisbee dogs were the halftime entertainment. It was a long weekend. I am very tired. GO HAWKS!

No comments: